Monday, August 27, 2012

One Night at Office

There comes a day in everyone's life which leaves a lasting impression. Perhaps God has been kind enough to grant me that wish today. Though a bit late it had to come one way or the other. But the irony is instead of a day, it's a night for me. "Sleepless in Bengaluru"; that’s what I feel now sitting all alone in office with some occasional movement here and there breaking the silence. The beep of the card readers, the tone of the lift buttons or the snore of the security guy outside the door are quite unfamiliar which I never experienced in the middle of the night. To make things clear, I am least afraid being all alone sitting in my desk writing my thoughts. One thing is for sure, nothing can frighten an IT guy other than recession.
Being someone who likes to work late in the evening, it was not unusual for me to stay in office till 9. Finding nobody around to give me company and almost getting frustrated with the idleness of the software tool which is supposed to be the lifeline of my work, I decided to call it a day. But when I looked out of the window pane it was raining cats and dogs. Again, it’s normal for somebody staying in Bangalore for a considerable time to be welcomed by the evening showers. It's just a matter of time when everything will settle down and I will somehow find my way back home through the heavy pile of traffic. But this time the wait was a never ending one.
Unable to keep myself calm and composed after a long tiring day, I decided to venture into the showers which had settled down a bit by that time. As soon as I got out of my office premises, I was welcomed by a few splashes of rain water on the road. As I moved further and further, the drops began to become bigger turning into small tributaries. Still I could manage to find my way across the streams using a few tricks of the trade. But as they say nature always has the upper hand in these kinds of situations. So the streams slowly turned into rivers and then might have merged into some ocean on the way. Of course, the Rain Gods can't take the credit for this artificial rivers and lakes. Here the rich tribute has to be given to the world class drainage systems in Bangalore which have such a big heart that they start to overflow with even a single drop of emotion.
Now after driving or rather sailing my bike though a couple of small rivers I realized that it would be a pointless exercise to sail further in my two-wheeler which is basically non-aquatic in behavior. It's a different thing that few others failed to realize the same and their gut feeling forced them to dive into the rivers on their so-called water scooters. But you just can't make a horse fly because it can leap in the air. So their tragic situation in the middle of nowhere was waiting to happen. After seeing few of these sunken ships my resolve to get back to office grew stronger and stronger. So at last I managed to get back to my office after crossing a few more hurdles. Being the foodie I am, I had to grab some food items on my way back as the ration for the long night back in office. Thanks to McDonalds, I got what I wanted to keep me going.
Back in office, it has been a mixed bag of feeling. All these years I wanted this to happen someday. But I had never thought it would come this way. I had never expected to experience it sitting all alone. For a while, I tried to break the monotony by indulging with my FB friends sitting in different time zones. But they couldn't stop my own voice echoing through the empty corridors. I wish somebody would have been here to share my feelings. All I wanted was a new experience, but not being the only one experiencing it. As the night is slowly progressing and the dawn getting closer, but there is no hint of sleepiness. Surprisingly, I got the key for the medical room right on my desk. I have heard a lot about the nice cushion and the bed in there which guarantees the comfort of any palace. But somehow it doesn't impress me now. So I will wrap it up here and try to explore what the night has in store for me till the sleep takes control of me. One thing I am eagerly looking forward to see is the expressions on the faces of my colleagues tomorrow. But all I need now is peace, inner peace....

1 comment:

  1. LOL at the big heartedness of Bangalore drains.

    People say you should be careful what you ask for. But then if your wish is to spend another night at office, so be it. Tathastu!

    ReplyDelete